After steam started coming out of the exhaust, followed by a high temp engine alarm, It’s time to start troubleshooting the raw water side of a Yanmar 2GM20F engine. I take a look at the raw water strainter, raw water pump, heat exhanger, antisiphon valve and the exhaust mixing elbow. I don’t think the problem was just one thing, but a few things compounded together. One of the splines was missing on the impellor, another was cracked, and the heat exchanger was heavily scaled and partially blocked.
A video of how to change the alternator belt on an old Yanmar 2GM20F diesel engine. Then I got side tracked.
A freshened up Yanmar 2GM20F with new 55 amp alternator, raw water pump, freshwater pump, new belts, oil filter, and an oil change.
As we were departing the dock, a routine that should be ingrained in me from Wu-Wei, but still feels so alien aboard this boat, our boat neighbor remarked, “Did you check the winds for this afternoon?” Taken aback by this statement (because, no I had not bothered to check, despite the fact this would be Serenity’s maiden sail), “Um, no, why?” (I just expected Poseidon and Njord would smile upon me… I mean, come on, we are in the Bay), “No reason. Just wondering if it is worth taking my boat out.” No matter the winds, a boat should always be taken out. Hell, it could have been gusting 40s and I would have thought it was a fine idea. Nonetheless, after dealing with the landmines of crab traps (these should be illegal in FL), we set about to “release the girl”, kill the engine and throw up the sheets. First issue- the damn mainsail got caught on the lazy jacks. I was cursing like an old salty sailor, which could be construed as unfavorable for a dame, but nonetheless… Da**ed raked mast is an issue here- the cars want to stick. We eventually got it up, but there is a huge pocket in the sail since Brian pointed out- “Um, the bimini/dodger frame is too high…” (This actually IS my fault, since I wanted this thing installed before we departed the Boatyard of Broken Dreams… There was more cursing on my part, but hell, it is too late… $3K later and this boat better overcome this setback!) Also, the line on the genoa was catching on itself. Da hell! Nonetheless, the sweet window in the top of the bimini gave me a view of the mast, and I was sailing! Max speed- 1.1 knots. Which, yeah, is good for a shakedown cruise, but is kind of boring for those adrenaline junkies (e.g. me) who wanted to see what she could do. Anyhoo, what we did learn- the RayCharles, I mean, RayMarine Dragonfly started shutting itself down under motor, but was fine under sail. We started the engine utilizing battery bank #2 instead of #1 (house versus motor) which means we have a bad battery. Yeah, the engine battery is a bad-ass beast (Interstate), and the house batteries are cheapo Wally World ones… We kind of suspected this. No fitting or through-hulls leaked, which is good, and to compensate for the bimini, we really need to get the mast un-raked (I say, let the professionals do it. We already need a few backstay holds replaced and some stuff on the mast. This is why sailors keep SSMR in business!) As we motored back to our dock, our boat neighbor was already drinking beers on another boat while his poor, sad boat start unused again for another day. Brian backed up to the dock as a pro, and we tied up lines. Indeed, a fine day to learn Serenity’s systems, but I will not lie- I missed my old girl, Wu, and felt like I was cheating on her!
Launching out of Salt Creek Marina in St. Petersburg, FL. Serenity was the first boat launched from the new seawall and finger piers!
Servicing one of three neglected Barrient 22 sailboat winches that were dry as a bone. Part of a 1990 Hunter 335 Expedition sailboat refit.
This is a 1990 Hunter 33.5 were trying to bring back to life. The hull was painted with a HVLP gun in Awlgrip Oyster White and the cove and boot stripes were finished off with the roll and tip method in Awlgrip Royal Blue. GoPro Hero2. Salt Creek Marina St. Pete, FL
Removing an old depthsounder transducer from a 1990 Hunter 335. 5200 is great, until you need to remove it!!! Replacing it with a Raymarine Dragonfly bronze transducer. The old one was a 1990s Singnent somthing or other that didn’t work when we bought/rescued the boat.
Don’t be afraid to get aggressive using the sander w/80 grit sandpaper. Just be sure to sand it flat to get the high spots out before refinishing. This is 20+ year old teak companion way hatch slats on a 1990 Hunter 335 were trying to bring back to life.
Repositioning from Cortez FL, to Salt Creek Marina in St. Petersburg, FL for an extended haul out and overhaul.